Menu

17.11.10

30 Days of Truth - Day 17




Day 17 → A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.


I don't think I could pick just one...

When I was a little girl, I learned the meaning of unconditional love from a book called The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.

Also when I was young, The Lorax by Dr. Seuss had me looking at the environment in a whole new way and taught me to love my environment.

As a first year uni student suffering from severe depression, one of the counselors who worked with me recommended the book Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. I didn't quite understand why she would recommend a writing book for a mood disorder, but I picked it up anyway. Writing Down the Bones changed my view of my writing from something I 'just did' that I liked and people said I did well to a deeper, almost spiritual, connection to what I wanted to express from my soul. I finally viewed my writing as an art and a passion rather than an act and happy hobby.

And, the book I'm reading now: Losing Your Pounds of Pain by Doreen Virtue. This book is teaching me that even the stuff I thought I was fully right blaming myself for isn't my fault. Now that is a beautiful weight to have lifted off my shoulders.


Books are beautiful.

[30 Days of Truth]

No comments: