Menu

23.8.10

Meme of Reading

Something I don't share here very often (because I have a blog about it) is my love of reading. However, I also love memes, so I figured I would cross-post here.

From Booking Through Thursday

1. Favorite childhood book?
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

2. What are you reading right now?
There are a couple of books... The one getting the most focus right now is The Ten Commandments of Losing Weight by Arlene Normand (I know what you're thinking, but it's a decent read.)

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
Nothing at the moment

4. Bad book habit?
Hanging onto books I don't like. Why keep them? I'm trying to 'polish' down my collection to only books I adore.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Four books: The one I mentioned I'm reading now, The Beck Diet for Life (hoping to pick up a few good tips), The Art of Raw Living Food by Doreen Virtue and Body Intelligence by Dr. Edward Abramson. (Can you tell I have a theme?)

6. Do you have an e-reader?
No. I wouldn't mind one, but someone would have to buy it for me.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I would normally answer one at a time, but experience teaches me that I usually have more than one on the go.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
I'm a bit more organized with reading and actually take the time to do it rather than letting the time find me (which it rarely does).

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Hm. Probably Italian for Beginners by Kristin Harmel. You can read the review for my nitpicks.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
If I can go by the past year rather than 'in 2010' I'll go with The Cult of the Amateur: How Today’s Internet is Killing Our Culture and Assaulting Our Economy By Andrew Keen. I found it just plain fascinating.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Regularly. It comes with the territory when you review for people.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
When I was younger - epic fantasy and historical romance. Now... anything with the romance element.

13. Can you read on the bus?
Yes, but I prefer not to. Public transport is my time for cooking up my own stories.

14. Favorite place to read?
In my recliner.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
I don't have a policy, but I'll only do it with people I really trust - in general and trust to take care of my books.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
No. Do it enough and the corner will come off.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
No. I tried once as an experiment, but I prefer taking notes on a note card that doubles as a bookmark.

18. Not even with text books?
Nope.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English. I'm not proficient enough in any other language to read books in those languages.

20. What makes you love a book?
Characters and romance, mostly. A place can really take me, too, but that has only happened on a couple occasions (Red Dust by Fleur McDonald...)

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
I love plenty of books, but I don't often do a lot of recommending. When I do, it's because a book make me think and/or changed my views on something. For example, the Ender series by Orson Scott Card.

22. Favorite genre?
These days, I really don't know. I read so much of this and that.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Steampunk and urban fantasy. I've heard a heap about both but read little to nothing in those genres.

Favorite biography?
Another tough one. Stephen King's On Writing pops into mind, though that was only part biography.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Certainly. I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

26. Favorite cookbook?
Margaret Fulton's Encyclopedia of Cookery.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
Inspirational... I haven't finished it, but The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance really got me thinking not far into the book.

28. Favorite reading snack?
Strawberries.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
I don't really have one. I tend to avoid over-hyped books.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
A lot, but only because there are now so many critics out there. You'll always end up agreeing with someone if everyone is giving an opinion.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
It's a necessity of life. You can't like every book you read. So long as you can fairly and even-handedly express why you don't like a book, you'll be fine. Or, you should be, in an ideal world where authors realized that bad reviews are an opportunity to make their future work better rather than taking a bad review of their book as a personal insult.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
Assuming that if I can read it, I can speak it as well, Japanese. I love anime and graphic novels, but I'm at a complete loss with the symbols. On the other hand, Egyptian would be brilliant.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
Probably The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson simply because it is one of the few hyped books I've read (because it came so highly recommended from a friend) and because the book is bloody massive.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
I can't think of anything I'm too nervous to read at the moment.

35. Favorite Poet?
My husband.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
Usually two to four.

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
Never unread. On a few occasions, unfinished.

38. Favorite fictional character?
Polgara the Sorceress from a book by the same name by David and Leigh Eddings.

39. Favorite fictional villain?
No my favourite so much as the one that always sticks in my head when villians are mentioned: Starlaughter Sunsoar from Sara Douglass' The Wayfarer Redemption. Nutty as they come and literally tears people apart.

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Usually none, as hotel rooms are my muse, but if any... Something light and fluffy or non-fiction (being in a good, relaxed mood makes learning much easier).

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
Probably a year, if we're not counting the newspaper. I think I was a little burned out after uni, moving to Australia, starting up a new life, etc.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Memoirs about child abuse or books that involve detailed child abuse. I usually manage to avoid them all, but sometimes it pops up here and there. I can't name a specific book right at the moment, though.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Everything else on my to-do list.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Howl's Moving Castle, which is strange because they changed so much of it.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
I know there are plenty to choose from, but nothing comes to mind at the moment.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
$100. I bought my husband the collector's edition of Footrot Flatts.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never. My habit is synopsis, first few pages.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
A topic I couldn't handle reading or just plain didn't want to read, a story going nowhere, something totally unfitting of the book and/or completely stupid happening...

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
I would like to...

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I'll keep them if I like them and can't bear to part with them. Otherwise, they go on Bookcrossing.com or on my giveaway shelf.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Anything overly hyped. Still avoiding all the Twilight books.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
I don't want to name it because of the reason behind my anger, but there was a book published by the head of a small publishing company that was so badly formatted that is pissed me off to no end. Different fonts, paragraphs running together... And this wasn't some goof trying to self-publish - it was from a company. Ack. It made me so angry to see such utter disregard for book form and for the readers.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
The Millennium Trilogy by Steig Larsson.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
I expected to like Queen Victoria: Demon Slayer more than I did.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Any book that I learn from.

No comments: