Menu

4.1.10

Café Review: Center Stage

Ah, Center Stage. A café my husband and I have been enjoying for a long time before I even thought of writing café reviews…

My husband takes the credit for discovering this cozy little café while I was busy getting allergy testing done. Having texted me a few too many times about their delicious tiramisu (one of my favourite desserts ever), I demanded he take me back to try it myself.

And though it’s quite a drive for us to get there, we have been back plenty of times.

As you may have guessed, Center Stage is a lovely little café on Nepean highway (think main drag of Chelsea) with a distinct theatre feel. From the classic, often jazzy music played in the background to the little touches of details in the decoration, you sit down feeling like you are instantly closer to the stage life.

The theatre feel is carried throughout the café with hardwood floors, travel pictures suck into the frames mirrors, posters that seem to change each time we visit, and even a piano in the middle of one wall in the main part of the café (pictured above).

And the piano isn’t just for looks, either…

Outdoor seating, both out front and out back are available so you can enjoy the beautiful sunny days. And you can’t forget those lovely cool breezes from the beach, which is just a short drive away.

The place never fails to relax me, even when it’s full.

With a menu price range I am very happy with – the most expensive item being a $19.90 steak – and brekkie all day, you can’t go wrong with ordering a meal (and perhaps dessert) here. They have traditional pies, lovely pasta salads and delicious dips to go with your meals. I love the homemade hommus that comes with the kefta (the meal I tend to be unable to resist).

The staff is always cheerful and happy to see you, the two main ladies appearing meant to work with people. If you come in on the right night, you may even be able to see one or both of them performing.

The first time we visited Center Stage, the coffee was a good drop but not anything particularly stunning. However, I am very happy to say that it is improving. As I’m finding with most places, the key is to be specific on how you like it.

This is definitely a café I would be more than happy to spend more time in.

***

Center Stage
Café / Restaurant
384A Nepean Hwy
Chelsea, VIC

9773 8959

No comments: