Menu

26.11.09

One of My Joys by Malana Ashlie

One of my joys is to walk barefoot along the beach. I walk the water’s edge, allowing waves to come and tickle my toes, then retreat only to return. Meanwhile my eyes keep watch on the waterline searching for riches the ocean may offer. I’ve gathered sand dollars, sharks teeth, small nautilus shells and discarded homes of conchs. Each of these treasures offered by the sea, but for only a moment and then carried away.

If I become distracted, hesitate or miss grabbing for the gift in the foam, the sea will sometimes offer me a second chance, but that is only when she feeling generous. The sea lives in the moment; when you see something you want- don’t hesitate- go for it.

I remember as a child, living with the fear of doing wrong, acting unacceptably, or no longer being loved if I broke ‘rules’. But, for all my being good, I wasn’t happy. I saw other people breaking rules, yet the world didn’t end. Little by little, I was awakening to the realization that I was choosing the proper way while exciting opportunities passed me by.

Years passed and my awareness grew. I saw people that I loved become ill and die before their life had been lived. I watched others become old and disabled while they waited for the perfect time to live their dream. All these lessons were not lost on me, but stored away in my heart. Then finally the words that connected all the experiences came to me…

When you come to the edge of all the light that you know,
And are about to step out into the darkness of the unknown,
Faith is knowing one of two things will happen…
You will be given something firm to stand on,
Or you will be taught to fly.

Today, I walk the beach in every area of the world that I travel to; I search for the treasures hidden in every religion, culture and country. I challenge myself to always stretch the limits of my knowledge and accept the differences in every individual I meet. I do this for me; for those who no longer can and to give my children and grandchildren permission to be, always, in a state of ‘becoming.’ I walk the beach as a celebration of life.

About the Author

Malana Ashlie is the author of Gringos in Paradise: Our Honduras Odyssey. She holds degrees in naturopathy, herbal sciences, subtle energy as well as a PhD in Metaphysics. She has been privileged to study with traditional Elders of Mayan and Hawaiian cultures. Dr. Malana has been widely published on the subjects of holistic health and spiritual growth and now offers this in her independent study program: Dynamics of Healing and Happiness. She currently lives along the sunny coast of Honduras but travels teaching workshops that incorporate ancient wisdom into modern life.

Visit Malana at:
www.gringos-in-paradise.com
www.wisdompathway.com

4 comments:

Jason said...

This is a great travel blog you have here. I'm a first-time visitor, but I'm very impressed. I have a travel blog myself which I hope to be a top resource for those looking for information and experiences on popular vacation destinations.

I'd like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around. Please let me know if this is possible.

Jason
ThatVACATIONfeeling.com

Malana said...

Hola Australian newbie, I agree with Jason that you've got a great blog here. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with the world and for hosting the penning (s) of my exploits for your visitors to view. I'd love to hear from others who have or who have thought about living outside their home country.

JM said...

Thank you both for stopping by. I am rather proud of my little corner of Australia. :)

Admittedly, I didn't think a heck of a lot about living outside of the US before doing it. I did have this weird feeling of homesickness for Oz even though I'd never been here.

Jason said...

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm going to add you right now. Take care.

Jason
ThatVACATIONfeeling.com