Menu

12.9.09

Sharing is Caring - Tickle Tickle

For the final day of this meme, I'm supposed to share 'whatever tickles my fancy'. Weeeeell, I'm a big fan of fun (but useless outside of trivia games) facts. So here we go:

On my quest to learn more about Australia, I decided to take some time and narrow down the fact finding to my beloved Melbourne. True to form for any Australian capital city, Melbourne didn’t disappoint in the realm of interesting, strange and funny facts.

Here are just a few to get you started:

*Pronounced “Mel-burn” not “Mel-Born”.
*Melbourne is the capital of Victoria.
*Melbourne has the second largest Greek population, after Athens.
*The Dim Sim, beloved snack of Australians, was invented in 1945 in Melbourne.
*During the Gold Rush of the 1850s, Melbourne was the richest city in the world.
*The expression “call girl” for a prostitute originated in Melbourne.
*The opening of the lion enclosure of the Melbourne Zoo in 1967 was the first “walk through” zoo enclosure of its type in the world.
*The world’s first frozen embryo baby was born in Melbourne on March 28, 1984 and was named Zoe Leyland.

Original meme here.

2 comments:

Hanlie said...

I really enjoyed this series! Thanks for sharing and caring...

JM said...

You're very welcome. I enjoyed sharing.