Menu

22.1.09

So... Tired...

I have been in places where the temperatures got hot – really hot – but I swear, the Australian sun heat has a distinct quality to it that melts your brain in ways it’s never been melted before.

What was meant to be a day trip turned into in overnight trip (which is part of the reason I am, yet again, behind with... everything) and Mr. JM and I arrived back home this afternoon. With a few hot days with little relief from the heat during the night followed by a long trip to northern Victoria (dust and heat – yum), when the work ran late we decided it would be best to stay overnight.

There is absolutely no use driving when you’re totally zapped for energy. That sort of thing leads to accidents. Of course, while we were staying locally, one of the site workers wanted to take us out for dinner. The meal was delicious, the conversation fun...

...but by the time we got back to our motel room, it was a quick shower to get off as much road grime as possible and then to sleep, relishing the room’s air conditioning. (We don’t have air conditioning in our flat. When it gets hot, I run away to the library.)

So yes, it was then up (mostly) bright and early to make another work stop and then head back home.

My poor husband felt absolutely no sympathy for me as he showered quickly and went in to work (about twenty to thirty minutes drive away) while I took a long cool bath and then pretty much just conked out while trying to finish a review book in bed.

None of which is even remotely interesting to anyone else, but my mind is still trying to reconstruct itself so I can’t think of anything more interesting to type about at the moment...

3 comments:

Roz Andrews said...

I can sympathise - it was also very hot and humid in Sydney on Saturday - we don't have air-con, so we spent most of the day in the shopping centre! Thankfully, it has cooled down now - hopefully it's also the case in Melbourne!

Roz
http://lifeinaustralia.today.com

Chrisbeads said...

There is air conditioning in my studio, but the power failure put paid to that. The only place to escape the heat was in the bath - but should I be using the water? Usually I love living in Melbourne (World's most liveable city??) but just at present would love to escape to somewhere cooler. Today is 30 deg in the house. Guess that's better than 36 deg with 45 outside like yesterday.

JM said...

The library aircon went out earlier this week so I had to move into the shopping centre for a bit. Oy.

Ugh, I heard about the power failures (among other failures...). I love living here too, but last week was just ridiculous.