Menu

21.12.08

Bring a Jacket - Melbourne Weather

Right now I’m sitting at my desk working in front of the window. Looking outside, I can see the warm sunshine on my various little plants as well as the driveway. If I look up over the neighbour’s wall, I can see steely gray clouds. The blue skies must be on the other side of the house.

While this in itself may not seem strange or stunning, it is pretty much a poster for Melbourne weather. Often touted the only place you can experience all seasons in one day, I’ve learned not to count on anything when it comes to this feisty city’s weather patterns.

I’ve seen days with heat in the morning, hail in the afternoon, and a nice cool but clear sunset. I’ve never been in a place where the sun has played such a game of peek-a-boo with the citizens below. I’ve been standing in the sunshine and still managed to get drenched with rain.

I’m not exaggerating even a little bit.

So when you’re out and about in Melbourne, bring a jacket. You can always tell the non-locals because they usually are dressed inappropriately for the “weather”.

2 comments:

Jenera said...

Though not as severe as that, Idaho is a bit funny too. It can be 20 degrees outside but if you are standing in the sunlight with a big coat on, you'll be sweating. It's weird.

JM said...

At least it didn't take me long to get used to Melbourne's mood swings. :)