Menu

6.11.08

Our Beloved Huntsman

Tonight I passed yet another Aussie milestone – I saw my first Huntsman!

The Bloke was calmly destroying a chicken so he could make his sangers for work and I was going on about my latest writing project when…

“So, I looked on the website and the only specification they gave was – Holy shit! That’s a huge spider!” (Forgive the language; I was startled.)

Just past The Bloke under the kitchen window (well within his arm’s reach) a big ol’ spider was happily hanging out. He said, “Oh, it’s a Huntsman.”

For those of you not familiar with the Huntsman… http://www.australianfauna.com/huntsmanspider.php

My combination fear/fascination gave way to excitement as I raced around to find the camera. (Because things that frighten me take second place to my important Australian moments, of course. Let’s hope the same thing doesn’t happen when I come across a Tiger Snake http://www.australianfauna.com/tigersnake.php .)

The Bloke assured me the one we had was “just a boy” and that they got bigger, but the one we had was more than enough spider for me, thank you very much. I refused, at first, to get close enough to move things for a decent picture, but he had no problem. And eventually – making sure the thing couldn’t jump at me – I got close enough to take a good look and a comparison picture.

(The spoon pictured is a teaspoon.)

So there you have it! One more Aussie milestone for my ‘book’.

11 comments:

Boomer Chick said...

Whooooooooooa...where did you find it, Jaime? That would scare the shit of out me, lol!

JM said...

In my kitchen. Hehe.

Karen Magill said...

Now I thought the thing I had to most careful of when I visited Australia were the parrot like birds (I have a rare, potentially fatal allergy) but now I have to watch the spiders too!

JM said...

Don't worry too much about this guy. He's pretty good around mammals. :D

Cheryl said...

Yuck. Keep those nasty buggers over there.

Anonymous said...

They jump?

If you could see my face right now, all horror-struck with my mouth hanging open, you'd die laughing. I'm sure I'll have nightmares about this. Geez, thanks. *scratch, scratch* Suggest you stock up on Raid.

You're a tougher woman than I am, woman.

~Hawke

JM said...

Cheryl - Hehehe. It certainly makes my life ... lively.

Hawke - Not these guys. There are some that jump. There are ones that lay traps, too - they're called TrapDoor spiders.

Hehe!

Morgan Mandel said...

Spiders are scary, but if I can, I trap them in plastic cups, put something over the cup and let spider go outside.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.com

Laura M. Crawford said...

Yes, I would say "HOLY SHIT!" if I saw that thing in my house, too! I live in Minnesota, in a place out in the country and we had a bunch of really big grass spiders coming in to my house when the weather started to turn cold. I have never had so many big ones coming in here. I don't like them at all.

And where I work, which is in a plastics factory, they love to hide on the cardboard boxes and jump at us. I'm looking forward to the winter weather this year, which if you listen to the forecast is going to be this weekend. Oh, goody!

You are a braver woman than I am to put anything near that thing or to get close enough to photograph it!! Kudos!

Laura :)

Mayra Calvani said...

Creeeeepy!

JM said...

Morgan - I'm a nonviolent spider scardey cat. Hehe. I don't demand they die, I just don't like them in the house.

Laura - *shudder* I don't know how well I'd do with spiders that hide where I work. o_O At least this guy happily wandered out in the open.

Mayra - Quite. :)