Menu

18.11.08

My Newspaper Column

Woohoo! I received my copies of the Hastings, Rosebud, Rye, Sorrento, Somerville, Mornington and Frankston community papers. (Yep, that's seven papers.) What makes these papers special (to me) is that they contain the first of my regular monthly column "The New Australian".

Yeah, go figure. I have a column by the same name as this blog.

My plan is to share my column with you when I receive the papers (meaning when they have been out for a couple weeks) so people here can read what I've written for the paper. (Because all of the people who currently read here are from overseas and can't get those papers.)

Anyway, without further ado, my first column for the November editions of those papers:

The New Australian
...Introduces Herself


Before I ever set one foot on Australian soil, I felt homesick for this wonderful place. Strange, I know, but after staying up many late nights in Wisconsin so I could talk to my then boyfriend (now husband) thousands of kilometers away in Australia, I longed to finally live in the beautiful country I heard so much about.

On the four-part flight from Minnesota to Melbourne, I was chided about making my first flight one that lasted so long. But, as I put my forehead against the window while my plane circled around to land in Melbourne, I marveled at the beautiful things I could see. I knew the long flight and nervous anticipation was all worth it.

I had finally come home.

In October I celebrated the second anniversary of my arrival in Australia. While some may argue that I am well past being a ‘new’ Australian – I have long since stopped calling all petrol ‘gas’ and calling the boot ‘the trunk’ – there is still much more for me to learn and discover here.

As my husband cheerfully informed me, “There are people who have been here forty years and are still ‘new’ Australians.” I don’t think I’ll be so new forty years from now, but I do hope I’ll still be discovering things about this place.

The discoveries and observations I make in my travels and the things I encounter on my journey from spousal visa to citizenship are the things I would like to share here. I’m looking forward to getting to know Mornington Peninsula and the people there better. Plus, in my career as a freelance writer, it doesn’t get any better than being able to write about the country I love so much.

So while you may read here about things you have encountered before, I hope you’ll enjoy them again from the perspective of a twenty-something still taking it all in.

It’s a pleasure to meet you. Until next time…

5 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Congratulations on your first column!

I still remember the excitement when I freelanced for the Daily Herald and my first article appeared, but I never had a regular column. This is much better.

Best of luck and have fun!
Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://www.morganmandel.com

Boomer Chick said...

OH HOW NEAT! I am so excited for you, Jaime! Hey, does your husband have that cute and sexy Aussie accent? I have an accent fetish. If so, you are one lucky woman! I can't wait to read more on your new blog..it's beautiful!

Cheryl said...

Nice article Jaime. Sounds like you better watch out for Dot though, she has a thing for guys with accents. LOL!

Karen Magill said...

Great article. Leaving everything one knows to settle in another land is a big step. I am so glad it is working out for you.

JM said...

Morgan - Thank you. :) I'm very excited about this column.

Dot - Thanks. And yes, he has a cute accent - though I don't really hear it anymore. No perving on my man, hey? ;)

Cheryl - I'll just send him to Tassie for a while should she ever visit. :P

Karen - I know it doesn't work out for everyone, but I am very, very happy it worked for me. :)